Work Study

What is Federal Work-Study? Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a financial aid program that allows a student to work on-campus or with approved off-campus community service employers to earn money to pay for college expenses.  FWS is not a grant (you must work to earn it), and it is not a loan (you do not have to repay it).  Being awarded FWS with financial aid can help you become eligible for part-time jobs, both on-and off campus, that you may not have otherwise been eligible for.  The FWS program encourages employment in community service and in fields related to your major of study. Am I eligible for Federal Work-Study? You would be eligible for employment under the Federal Work-Study Program if you:
  1. have been accepted into a degree program at New River CTC, are enrolled at least as a half-time student and are in good standing as a student.
  2. are a citizen of the United States, or live in the United States for other than a temporary purpose and intend to become a permanent resident thereof, or are a permanent resident of the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands.
  3. are capable, in the opinion of the institution, of making responsible academic progress in such course of study while employed under this program, and
  4. have demonstrated a financial need as determined by the U.S. Department of Education.
How do I apply? Eligible students may submit an employment application to the  Human Resources coordinates with the department heads seeking FWS employees.  Once the student has been approved by the department head, the department head will complete the employment request form for extra help.  For wage information, please see New River Community and Technical College Procedure 6.

FWS Positions

  • Work Study Tutor
  • Work Study Community Service
  • Work Study Hawk Mascot Student Worker
New River CTC Work Study employment application

FWS Information for College Offices

Offices requesting a FWS employee will need to complete an employment request form. The Financial Aid Office must verify a student’s FWS eligibility.