Veteran’s Benefits

New River Community and Technical College thanks you and/or your family member for serving our country. We are proud of our veteran students and the children and spouses of veterans. We appreciate the honor and dignity in which you served and continue to serve the United States of America.

New River CTC’s mission is to provide high quality, affordable accessible education to our students. We are committed to providing resources and support to veterans as they make the transition from soldier to student.

Military personnel, veterans and their families have a wide range of VA Educational Benefits available to them. Students eligible for veterans benefits should contact the certifying officials listed below to begin the veterans’ enrollment process at New River CTC; students should fill out and turn in the Veteran Certification of Enrollment Form to the Certifying Official.

Donna Lewis, Student Services Specialist, 304-647-6566

Deena Stewart, Student Program Advisor, 304-647-6565

Educational Benefits Available

Post 9/11 GI Bill: Chapter 33: The Post 9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11. 2001, or individuals discharged with service connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible.

Montgomery GI Bill: Chapter 30: Soldiers must have served in the United States Armed Forces for a period of two to four years and have been honorably discharged prior to returning to school.

Montgomery GI Bill: Chapter 1606: Soldiers must have completed basic training and AIT and are now assigned to a reserve and/or WV National Guard unit. Please submit copy of DD214 and NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility). The NOBE is available through your commander.

Veteran Readiness and Employment: Chapter 31: Disabled veterans must complete an application with a case worker and have a disability rating. The certifying official will receive authorization and certification of entrance or re-entrance into a rehabilitation and certification status.

Survivors and Dependents Education Assistance: Chapter 35: For dependents and spouses of 100% disabled or deceased veterans. Form 22-5490 must be completed and submitted to the Department of Veterans Affairs. Once a claim is established, a certificate of eligibility will be issued to the dependent/ spouse which will need to be submitted to the school’s certifying official.

For more information on VA educational benefits or to apply, visit

For information on benefits from the WV National Guard, visit

Policy B.800 Policy on tuition refunds or credits for students called to Active Military Service