Types of Financial Aid

Below you will find information on different types of financial aid available


Scholarships and tuition waivers are available to eligible New River Community and Technical College students.

Local scholarships are available within the communities served by each New River CTC campus. Students may contact the financial aid representative on their campus for a list of local scholarship opportunities. Good sources of information about the availability and deadlines of local scholarships include high school guidance counselors and local civic organizations such as Rotary, Lions, Civitan and Ruritan Clubs, as well as local women’s organizations, the AAUW, PEOs and businesses. Students should also read local newspapers and listen to local radio/TV stations for announcements.

Bookstore Scholarship Application

New River CTC Foundation Scholarships

Presidential Scholarship Application

Promise Scholarship, West Virginia

External Scholarships

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant program provides the foundation of financial aid to which other grants, loans or assistance may be added. If you qualify for a Federal Pell Grant, you may receive an award depending on your family income, costs of education, and enrollment status. Students applying for Federal Pell Grant must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or renewal application. You must reapply for a Federal Pell Grant every year.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity (SEOG)

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG) are awarded only to those students who have extreme financial need. Since funds are limited, priority is given to those students who apply early.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

The Federal Work Study Program (FWSP) is self-help assistance earned on a wage per-hour basis through assigned part-time employment at on-campus or off-campus locations. An effort is made to provide each FWSP recipient with a work experience that will complement his or her skills and/or academic objective. The hourly rate is at least the federal minimum wage, and students are paid biweekly according to hours worked. To be eligible for work-study, you must have financial need and be enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours.

Higher Education Assistance for Part-Time Students (HEAPS)

Higher Education Assistance for Part-time Students (HEAPS) is a West Virginia funded program designed to assist West Virginia students enrolled on a part-time basis. Applications for funding must be completed each semester. You must complete the FAFSA to be considered for HEAPS funding and have a 2.00 high school or college GPA.

West Virginia Higher Education Grant (WVHEG)

The West Virginia Higher Education Grant (WVHEG) is designed to assist full-time students in attaining educational goals. The first step in the application process is submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)  https://studentaid.gov/. Applications processed before April 15th of each year are given priority consideration. Students must have a minimum of 12 credit hours in each individual semester in which they receive the grant. Please be aware that this grant requires that students complete a total of 24 credit hours between Fall, Spring and Summer to be considered for grant renewal during the next award year.  In addition, students must also maintain a 2.0 or greater and meet FAFSA deadline and eligibility requirements.

William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program

William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans (Direct Loans) are guaranteed federal student loan programs that include federal subsidized and unsubsidized loans and the federal PLUS (parent loan) programs. To apply for student loans, the student will complete and return the student aid loan application to financial aid. First-time borrowers must complete a loan entrance interview and sign a loan master promissory note. First-time borrowers must also wait 30 days after the beginning of the semester before funds are available.