Transfer Student

If you have earned a high school diploma, GED or Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) and have taken a college course or courses, we consider you a transfer student. A student who fails to acknowledge attendance at any college or university in which he/she has been registered is subject to immediate dismissal or repayment of financial aid funding. You must list the institution(s) on your enrollment form for admission, including withdrawn courses if a transcript was created. If you are unsure, contact your previous college’s Registrar’s Office to clarify prior to submitting your enrollment form.

You must submit the following material to be admitted to a Certificate of Applied Science, Associate of Science Degree or Associate of Applied Science Degree program:

  • An enrollment form.
  • Final official transcripts from all colleges previously attended regardless of how long ago the previous college experience was or the applicability of the credit (sent directly from the previous institution(s) to the campus Office of Admissions you will attend). If you are transferring fewer than 30 college credit hours, we also require a final official high school transcript, including the date of graduation, mailed directly from the high school or Board of Education in an original sealed envelope (a copy is not an official document). An official copy of GED, TASC, or HiSet scores may be submitted in lieu of the high school transcript.
  • A copy of your ACT, SAT or Accuplacer test scores if you have not taken and passed a college level math and English course verified by your transcript. Placement test scores such as ACT, SAT or Accuplacer must be within 5 years from the date of Application for Admission to be accepted.
  • The Accuplacer test, if required, may be scheduled at New River CTC once your enrollment form is processed and your student identification number is assigned. Contact your campus Student Success Center to arrange to take the Accuplacer test.

In order to make an appointment to register for courses, a transfer student must complete Online Orientation, have submitted placement test scores or completed a college level English and math course, and official college transcripts must be on file. If official transcripts are not on file, you may submit or bring your unofficial copies for your advising/registration appointment. However, financial aid and/or loans will not be distributed until your official transcripts are on file in Admissions and all requested documents are in.