Student Information Directory (List of important departments and phone numbers)
There is a Student Government Association on each campus which can provide a forum for opinions as well as a calendar of cultural and fun events throughout the academic year. There are Halloween parties and Christmas functions geared for children of students as well as dances, gaming activities, and opportunities for community service.
The mission of the Student Success Center is to provide students with a comprehensive range of services and resources to enable students to reach their educational, lifelong learning, and career goals. The New River goal is to provide services to help all students achieve academic success. The expanded mission is to coordinate quality tutoring programs through a variety of delivery systems to meet the needs of traditional and nontraditional students. Upon student request, each campus provides support services at no additional cost.
New River Community and Technical College offers courses at various off-campus locations through the service region. For availability of courses, check the schedule published each term.
New River Community and Technical College provides testing services through Bluefield College, which is an approved testing center (selected examinations) for the American College Testing Program (ACT), the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and the National League for Nursing (NLN).
To earn credit by CLEP examination, a student must meet the following criteria:
- A student must be enrolled in New River Community and Technical College or have been accepted by the College. Freshman, transfer, and recently accepted students must enroll in and pass at least 3 credit hours at any of the New River campuses to be eligible for CLEP credit from NRCTC.
- A student must meet the prerequisites for the equivalent course(s) for any CLEP test(s) taken.
- A student may not receive CLEP credit for equivalent courses for which he/she has already earned credit.
- CLEP credit will not be accepted for the purpose of overcoming deficient grades.
- A student is not eligible to take the CLEP test if he/she is currently enrolled in an equivalent course.
- A maximum of 31 hours of credit will be granted for successful completion of the five tests within the General Examinations.
- A waiting period of six months is required to repeat the same test(s). Scores on test(s) repeated earlier than six months will be canceled by NRCTC.
- Requests for official transcript copies of the CLEP score report(s) should be directed to the Office of Student Services.
Accuplacer is a suite of computerized tests that determines your knowledge in math, reading and writing as you prepare to enroll in college-level courses. The results of the assessment, in conjunction with your academic background, goals and interests, are used by academic advisors and counselors to place you into a college course that meets your skill level. Scores are normally available immediately after testing is completed. The Accuplacer test can be taken in lieu of the ACT or SAT. A composite score cannot be obtained by taking this test. Anyone needing a composite score for Nursing, Radiological Technology, Medical Assisting, or NCAA purposes MUST take the National ACT or SAT. A minimum of 60 days must have elapsed before retesting is allowed with Accuplacer.
The West Virginia EDGE initiative allows students to take high school courses for community and technical college credit. Students who take the EDGE courses available in high school or at a Career and Technical Center could earn an Associate Degree earlier. Find out more
New River Community and Technical College offers the NLN Pre-Admission Exam-LPN. All students seeking admission to the Licensed Practical Nurse Certificate program must take the Pre-Admission Exam-LPN. Contact the Student Services office regarding additional testing restrictions and registration information.
Information concerning registration and administration of the above examinations can be obtained from the Office of Student Services.
Brainfuse provides online tutoring and writing services for its students. A division of Brainfuse, Brainfuse also offers an online writing lab for assistance with essays.