The Accuplacer, developed by The College Board, is the assessment tool used by New River Community and Technical College. This placement test consists of three parts: reading, writing, and mathematics (quantitative reasoning, algebra and statistics).
The Accuplacer is required if
- a student cannot submit ACT or SAT placement scores or has not taken either test
- has not taken and passed a college level English and math course verified by unofficial or official transcript.
ACT, SAT or Accuplacer test scores must be from within five years (5) from the date of application for admission.
Guidelines for Accuplacer Testing
1. The student must have applied for admission to the college and have a valid student ID number before testing.
2. The student must make an appointment to test with the Educational Counselor or Test Proctor in the Student Success Center on his/her campus.
3. The student must provide a photo ID and their student ID number before testing.
4. If the student does not make passing scores on the Accuplacer, a retest may not be rescheduled before 48 hours have passed. A re-test fee of $10 will be paid before the student is allowed to re-test.
To schedule the Accuplacer placement test or to request a study guide link, contact the Student Success Center representative on your local campus.
Students may take a free practice test. To take a practice test, you must create a login for Accuplacer.
ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY CENTER
P.O. Box 307, Ghent, WV 25843
GREENBRIER VALLEY CAMPUS
653 Church Street, Lewisburg, WV 24901-2024
MERCER COUNTY CAMPUS
1001 Mercer Street, Princeton, WV 24740-8230
NICHOLAS COUNTY CAMPUS
6101 Webster Road, Summersville, WV 26651-9337
RALEIGH COUNTY CAMPUS
280 University Drive, Beaver, WV 25813-8987
Accuplacer is a suite of computerized tests that determines your knowledge in math, reading and writing as you prepare to enroll in college-level courses. The results of the assessment, in conjunction with your academic background, goals and interests, are used by academic advisors and counselors to place you into a college course that meets your skill level. Scores are normally available immediately after testing is completed. The Accuplacer test can be taken in lieu of the ACT or SAT. A composite score cannot be obtained by taking this test. Anyone needing a composite score for Nursing, Radiological Technology, Medical Assisting, or NCAA purposes MUST take the National ACT or SAT. A minimum of 60 days must have elapsed before retesting is allowed with Accuplacer.