Click here to begin orientation for summer/fall 2018

Office of Admissions Hours:  Monday- Friday,  8 a.m. to 4 p.m. 



Monday, April 9– New students (first-time freshman, transfers, readmits, etc.) may begin to call the Office of Admissions to schedule an appointment to register for classes. Requested admission checklist items and online orientation must be completed in order to register. Graduating high school seniors applying for Summer or Fall may wait to submit their official high school transcript once graduation has occured.

Monday, April 23, 2018– New student and readmitted student Priority Registration begins for fully admitted students to include our new Veteran students.

Monday, May 7, 2018– New student and readmitted student Open Registration begins

Students may call to schedule an appointment to register once the admission checklist items listed on this Orientation page are complete. Please review, complete and then call to schedule your appointment to register. Registration appointments are available from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. If you have questions regarding the criteria to register or the checklist, please call your local campus Office of Admissions (listed at the bottom of page).


REGISTRATION DAY EVENTS SCHEDULED– No appointment necessary for these event dates.

10 a.m.- 4 p.m. at each location  TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON


The goal of Online Orientation at New River CTC is to assist our students in the overall transition to college, including basic information on academic policies, procedures, Student Services and information regarding registering AFTER your initial advising/registration appointment with your assigned academic advisor during the next scheduled current student registration event. We hope this information will promote a successful beginning and guide you through your first semester. Please be sure to read the college catalog for a comprehensive overview of college policies and procedures. This can be found on the college website, under Quick Links.

Please make sure you if you need to stop and continue at a later time that you use the same sign-in credentials each time. Your information is saved each time you exit with your specific login. Also if you need assistance, we will ask you for your login in: First Name, Last Name and what you used for your Student ID in order to login and view.


Transient students (visiting from their home institution), Special (non-degree seeking) students and those enrolling as Provisional high school students (current high school students/non-degree seeking, not graduating in May/June applying as first-time freshman) are EXEMPT and DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE ONLINE ORIENTATION. Current high school students who are graduating and enrolling as certificate or degree seeking students (not provisional) will need to complete online orientation.

You must complete online orientation in order to register, those exempt are listed above.



If you have previously taken online orientation and it has been over one year, you will be asked to take it again when re-enrollingYou will not be able to use your student ID or what you previously used as your student ID. Instead you will need to use your date of birth, such as 07111999, for July 11, 1999 for example or the last four of your social security number. The system will not provide you with the quiz questions at the end of each section of orientation and the final test if you use the same ID number each year you must retake upon re-entering the college as a readmit. You will also need to make sure you use your middle initial or full middle name after your first name, such as Henry A. or Henry “Allen” Smith. Write your login information down in case you experience any problems so we may assist



PRIORITY REGISTRATION for Summer and Fall 2017 will begin MONDAY, APRIL 24 by appointment for those who are “fully admitted”. OPEN REGISTRATION for all new and readmitted students will begin MONDAY, MAY 1, 2017 by appointment.

Fully admitted means an application for admission has been received and processed, your admission file is complete-all documents such as official transcripts and/or test scores requested have been received (if applicable) and your online orientation is passed/complete (if required).

Readmitted students will need to schedule an appointment with the Office of Admissions your first semester upon returning after submitting a new application, submitting any requested documents and completing online orientation if applicable. A returning student is excused from online orientation if they have previously completed it within the past year.

To schedule your appointment after completing your checklist items, please call your local Office of Admissions:

Advanced Technology Center: (304) 929-3315      Greenbrier Valley Campus: (304) 647-6565

Mercer County Campus: (304) 818-2012               Nicholas County Campus: (304) 883-2437

Raleigh County Campus: (304) 929-5469



Appointments are available 8 a.m.-4 p.m. during the Summer Schedule Hours through July 27 and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. after this date.



You may call your local campus Office of Admissions to schedule an appointment to register if you are certificate (C.A.S) and/or degree seeking (A.S., A.A.S) once you have:

– submitted an application for admission

– completed and successfully passed online orientation

– submitted official college transcripts or have your unofficial copies of college transcripts in hand used to advise for registration (in order to receive financial aid or loans, you must submit your official college transcripts to complete your admission file). If you are a readmitted student, you may have transcript(s) on file if you attended recently. If you have attended any other colleges in your absence from New River CTC, you will need to request that those transcripts be sent directly from the school to your local campus Office of Admissions after reapplying for admission.

– have submitted placement test scores: your ACT score report, SAT score report, have taken the Accuplacer test at New River or have college level English and Math on your college transcript. To take the placement test, click here:  and click on the campus you wish to test at for the number to call to schedule an appointment or to see available times to come into the center. In high school, if you have scored an achievement level score of Level 3 in English, Language Arts and Math on the West Virginia General Summative Assessment, this may be provided in lieu of test scores in order to by pass foundational Math or English courses.

Returning (readmitted) students will need to schedule an appointment with the Office of Admissions upon returning after:

– submitting a new application

– submitting any requested documents we may need (such as transcripts, etc.)

– complete online orientation if applicable. You are excused from online orientation if you have previously completed it within the past year.




Each type of student must submit a new application each semester they wish to register.

A Transient student (visiting from another college) must complete an application for admission each semester you enroll.  You will need to have your completed transient permission form sent to the Office of Admissions, or have it in-hand (with all signatures on the form. The Registrar’s Signature MUST be on the form in order to register for class or courses).

A Provisional student (current high school student) must submit an application for admission each semester you enroll and have your completed provisional form sent to the Office of Admissions, or sent to the campus you will attend in seat or online (choose campus you are closest to or will register at). Or you may have it in-hand in order to register for a class or courses. (For courses offered within the high school, forms will be collected on site at the high school only).

Special Student (non-certificate nor degree seeking) must apply for admission each semester you will attend. Click herePayment arrangements may be made with the Student Accounts/Business Office on your local campus. Special students are not eligible for state or federal financial aid since they are not seeking a Certificate of Applied Science (CAS) or a degree and therefore are self-pay.                                                                    

Click here for Student Accounts/Business Office contacts, information on paying tuition online and payment options. Or from our website, scroll over Future Students, Paying for College and click on Student Accounts/Business Office.

As a special student you must meet any prerequisite course requirements listed under Course Descriptions in the college catalog. You may provide placement test scores for Math and English courses or unofficial college transcripts to meet prerequisites. You may provide ACT, SAT or Accuplacer (taken at New River CTC). If you have taken the West Virginia General Summative Assessment and scored an achievement level of 3 in English, Language and Arts (ELA) and Math, this will exempt you from taking Foundational courses in Math or English.

The college catalog with Course Descriptions may be found on our website. Scroll over Future Students, Academics and click on College Catalog or click here College Catalog.

Note: Non-degree seeking students will not provide any documentation other than an application for admission unless in order to enroll in a course or courses with prerequisites (PR), excluding Transient students.


prerequisite is a course that is required prior to taking an advanced course. A prerequisite may be eligibility for English 101, which means you must have taken college level English 101 and passed or have tested into it. Another example is in order to take Sociology 224 Marriage and Family Relations, the prerequisite is Sociology 210 Principles of Sociology. This means you must first take Sociology 210 before you can register for Sociology 224. Prerequisites may be found by viewing courses in the online course catalog, under Course Descriptions, near the end of the catalog. Course catalog

Non-degree seeking students are considered Special students (non-certificate (CAS) nor degree seeking), Provisional (current high school) and Transient (visiting from your home institution to take a course or two) or those seeking an Advanced Skill Set Certificate (ASSC) which is not eligible for financial aid or loans. These student types do not have a major and are not assigned an academic advisor. Students except for transients must meet prerequisites in order to enroll in select courses and provide proof of meeting the prerequisites.


Office of Admissions:

Advanced Technology Center: (304) 929-3315      Greenbrier Valley Campus: (304) 647-6565

Mercer County Campus: (304) 818-2012               Nicholas County Campus: (304) 883-2437

Raleigh County Campus: (304) 929-5469



First semester advising takes place within the Office of Admissions for the following students: New first time freshman, returning (readmitted) who sat out a semester or longer excluding summer, special (non-degree seeking), provisional (current high school students) and new transfer. You will be assigned an academic advisor if you are certificate (Certificate of Applied Science) or degree seeking after your initial first semester advising appointment and before current student registration occurs your first semester. Students who are interested in select admission programs such as Physical Therapy Assistant (PTA), Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT), Emergency Medical Services (Paramedic) and Practical Nursing (LPN) will first complete general admission through the Office of Admission and will then be referred to an advisor in their specialty area.

Students must first complete a general admission application and receive their ID number before applying (completing and submitting application) to a selective admission program.

Special students (non-certificate/degree seeking), Provisional (current high school) and Transient (visiting from your home institution to take a course or two) will be seen in the Office of Admissions each semester for advising and registration. You must complete a new Application for Admission each semester you re-enroll.

If you are a new transfer student and have not submitted official college transcripts or we have not received them, please submit or you must bring your unofficial transcripts with you for your advising appointment in order to register for classes

If you are a readmitted student and have attended any other colleges in your absence, you will need to request those official transcripts be sent directly to New River CTC’s Office of Admissions on the campus you will attend. In order to register for classes, you must bring a copy of your unofficial college transcript(s) with you for your appointment to schedule classes (register). You must list any colleges attended on your application, it is not optional.



Steps to Enrollment

Apply for Admission (you should submit your application before applying for financial aid)

Apply for Financial Aid (FAFSA)

Sign up and Complete Student Orientation (exemptions listed above)

Register for Classes (Schedule your appointment to register)

Pay Tuition and Fees

Purchase Books Online

Attend Classes



Once you have applied for admission and received your letter from the Office of Admissions, your email account has been set up. Please read the “new student letter” within this link and review the Information Technology page for more details. Click here

Optional In-Seat Orientation Dates (RSVP)

Please note, daycare is not provided. You will need to email to reserve your seat. If you do not have access to email, you may call 304-929-5480 with the information requested below.


Choose one-

Thursday, August 17, 1p.m.-3 p.m. or Friday, August 18, 8:30 a.m.– 10:30 a.m.    

Email and include:   


1.) your name and telephone number  we can reach you between 8 a.m.- 4 p.m.                                                     

2.) the campus you will attend

3.) the date you will attend (choices above)                                                                                                                   

4.) # of guests and relationship to you (please note, the sessions can be a great opportunit to bring a friend who is interested in college and wants to learn more!) LIMIT 3*

*If Orientation becomes full and we need to make room for more students, we will reduce the number of guests allowed. Please provide a telephone number as requested above so we may reach you in the event this occurs. Thank you for your understanding.