All applicants seeking admission to the Practical Nursing Program are required to:
1. Complete 11 hours of prerequisite courses:
- English 101
- Human Anatomy & Physiology I
- Human Anatomy & Physiology I Lab
- Human Anatomy & Physiology II
- Human Anatomy & Physiology II Lab
2. Meet Competencies:
- Be eligible to take Math 101 depending upon ACT (19 minimum) or Accuplacer (84 miniumum).
- Score a minimum of 65 on the HESI A2 Preadmission Examination.
- Have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA with a minimum grade of “C” in all required prerequisite courses.
After provisional acceptance into the LPN Program the student must complete the Provisional Acceptance Package provided by the Program.
- Complete a criminal background check before the first day of class.
- Complete a physical examination with laboratory testing before the first day of class.
- Complete required drug/alcohol screening before the first day of class.
- Complete Basic Cardiac Life Support for healthcare providers (BCLS) class prior to the first day of class
- Applicants exceeding academic standards will be given first priority for selection.
- Students are responsible for all fees associated with background and drug screening tests, BCLS courses, and physical examinations. All medical forms and instructions for registering for testing will be provided in the acceptance letter.
- Admittance into the Practical Nursing Program at New River Community and Technical College does not guarantee that the West Virginia Board of Examiners for Licensed Practical Nurses will grant the student licensure. The Board of Examiners for Licensed Practical Nurses may deny testing to any applicant proven guilty of certain infractions, such as, but not limited to, fraud, felony, or moral misconduct.