The “Borrow Smart” campaign was developed to educate students regarding their rights and responsibilities as borrower’s and how to manage their student loan debt.
3 year cohort default rate (2019) – 6%
In conjunction with the “Borrow Smart” campaign and due to the Loan Education, Justification, Application Policy, effective 6-24-13 student loans will no longer be offered as part of your financial aid award package. If you need to apply for a loan:
- Visit our Financial Aid Forms page and select the student loan application.
- Complete and submit Student Loan Application along with all requested documentation.
*Insufficient documentation will result in non-review.
- For instructions on how to use fillable pdf forms, and submit using the Secure Box go to Financial Aid Forms.
The Department of Education has created the Federal Student Aid website www.studentaid.gov. This is a one-stop web page for all student aid resources. You can access all of the tasks below using this site. You will need your FSA ID username and password to log in.
Entrance Counseling is a requirement of the Department of Education for student loan borrowers.
You must complete Entrance Counseling online if you are:
- A first time borrower at New River CTC.
- A new transfer student.
- A returning student after a break in enrollment.
Master Promissory Notes
A valid MPN is required before any loan funds will disburse to your account. If this is your first Direct Loan, the Master Promissory Note (MPN) will be available within a week after you accept the loan.
Students that have had student loans and graduate, stop out on their education, or fall below six credit hours, are required to complete exit counseling.