The Medical Insurance Billing and Coding certificate is a two-semester program designed to prepare students to meet the demand for medical insurance specialists and/or medical coders.
Health insurance claim processing and diagnostic and procedural coding skills are needed in a variety of healthcare settings. Health care providers are reimbursed according to the codes submitted for the procedures and services rendered, therefore, the role of medical coders is integral to most medical practices. The insurance specialist is responsible for patient billing in physician, clinical or hospital settings. Chart analysis, billing procedure, and correspondence with insurance carriers are part of the job duties.Jobs are available in consulting firms, clinics, hospitals, multi-specialty medical groups and private practices and are available in every state, ranging, from non-management to management positions. Insurance billing specialist’s salaries may range widely, depending on knowledge, experience, location and size of the employing institution. Students completing New River CTC’s program will also have the opportunity to become their own boss by setting up a business in their homes or establishing an office.
For more information on this program, contact Angela Strickland at firstname.lastname@example.org or 304-929-5036..
Total Program Hours: 30
PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Protect the security of the medical record to insure confidentiality is maintained.
- Review records for completeness, accuracy, and compliance with regulations.
- Retrieve patient medical records for physician, technicians, or other medical personnel.
- Assign the patient diagnosis-related groups (DRGs), using appropriate computer software.
- Process patient admission or discharge documents.
- Transcribe medical reports.