Students studying in this field will develop knowledge and skills required to implement, deploy and support IT systems in the healthcare field. Classes will cover regulatory requirements, healthcare terminology/acronyms, and provide a basic understanding of practice workflow adhering to code of conduct policies and security best practices, in order to support Electronic Health Records (EHR) systems in medical facilities. For more information on this program, contact Tricia Hoover at firstname.lastname@example.org or 304-929-6702.
Total Program Hours: 60
PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Explain ownership, services, and case-mix of the hospital; the organization of the medical staff, and the organization of the medical records department.
- Describe specific information relating to the functions of the health information department.
- Describe the relationship between the following individuals, functions, or departments and the health information management department.
- Identify any pertinent patient documentation that is maintained in any ancillary departments.
- Describe the policy and procedures for maintaining confidentiality in the health care sector.
- Utilize and describe the ICD-9 and CPT code systems.
- Identify and describe the role and environment of the health information manager in, the organizational structure, the patient population, the regulatory and accrediting agencies, the legal requirements, and the operational requirements.
- Describe the policies and procedures utilized in admission/registration, documentation of patient care and retention of records, release of Information, statistical reports and reporting requirements, classification systems, Indexes and Registries, quality Improvement and Performance Measurement, and utilization Management and reimbursement processing.
- Identify, describe, and demonstrate the role of the medical record professional within the health setting.
- Communicate effectively in written form; specifically, this includes use of vocabulary appropriate to the topic, clarity of presentation, correct grammar, punctuation and spelling.