The Practical Nursing Program accepts new students each August. This program is available at the Greenbrier Valley Campus, Nicholas County Campus, Raleigh County Campus and Summers County ARH Hospital.
The Practical Nursing Program is an intensive 11-month certificate program designed to prepare students to practice as Licensed Practical Nurses in a variety of healthcare settings. The curriculum provides students with classroom and clinical experiences in the areas of Medical-Surgical Nursing, Maternal-Child Nursing, Geriatrics and Mental Health Nursing in a variety of acute care, extended care, and outpatient facilities and includes courses in pharmacology and nutrition. The program also is designed for career laddering, awarding appropriate transfer credit allowing for seamless transfer into more advanced nursing programs of study. Upon completion of the Practical Nursing Program, graduates are eligible to take the National Council License Examination – Practical Nursing (NCLEX-PN). Successful completion of this examination is required for practical nursing licensure. For further information, contact Joanna Perry or Tina Bryant by using the links below.
Director, Practical Nursing
|Admission Requirements||Application Process|
|Provisional Admittance Packet||Gainful Employment Information|
|PN Curriculum||PN Student Handbook 2023-2024|
Effective February 28, 2022, this nursing program is a candidate for initial accreditation by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing. This candidacy status expires on February 28, 2024.
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
3390 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 1400
Atlanta, GA 30326
New River CTC will have a ACEN PN Accreditation visit September 26-28, 2023.
New River CTC’s PN program is fully accredited by the WV State Board of Examiners for Licensed Practical Nurses.
PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Apply the nursing process based on physiological and psychosocial concepts, evidence-based practice, and clinical reasoning to deliver safe, effective nursing care in diverse settings to patients across the lifespan.
- Demonstrate nursing care that is inclusive of differing values, cultures, beliefs, nationalities, and lifestyles.
- Integrate information technology in clinical decision making to support safe processes in the delivery of nursing care.
- Use therapeutic communication skills to collaborate with patients, families, and interdisciplinary team members.
- Exhibit professional behaviors and practice consistent with the role and identity of the practical nurse in diverse settings.
- Participate in professional self-evaluation processes and reflection to ensure progressive and optimum clinical performance.
|2022 NCLEX pass rate||2022 Program completion rate|
|Greenbrier Valley Campus||100%||78.6%|
|Nicholas County Campus||83.3%||50%|
|Raleigh County Campus||91.7%||66.7%|
|All New River CTC||93.1%||65.2%|
2022 Job placement rate: 92.3% of graduates are working as a Licensed Practical Nurse.