Greenbrier Valley Campus only
The Certificate of Applied Science Degree in Cosmetology is a focused, career-oriented program in the field of salon management and cosmetology. The program provides students with the knowledge and skills necessary for an entry-level career in the cosmetology field, and students gain hands-on experience in the Cosmetology Program Salon. This program exceeds the 1800 clock hours required by the West Virginia Board of Examiners for Barbers and Licensing or certification of Cosmetologists Board. Exams are independent of graduation requirements.
The job outlook is good for cosmetologists. Increasing population, income and demand for cosmetology services will stimulate job growth. In addition, the rapid growth of nail salons and full-service spas will generate numerous job openings for cosmetologists skilled in hair, skin and nails.
Upon completion of the program, students will be eligible to sit for the examination administered by the Board provided all eligibility requirements are met.
Total Program Hours: 52
PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Express the scientific concepts of cosmetology to deliver safe, effective services in the field of cosmetology.
- Express cosmetology trichology and practices to the client.
- Demonstrate proper cosmetology set up and client protection.
- Demonstrate thermal curling with expert skill.
- Perform hair cutting with knowledgeable skill.
- Perform chemical waving with professionalism.
- Perform hair coloring applications with educated skill.
- Perform hair relaxing in a professional setting.
- Perform a client facial procedure in the professional setting.
- Know the West Virginia state laws pertaining to the cosmetology field.