New River Community and Technical College (New River CTC) received an allocation from the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act under Section 18004(a)(1) in the amount of $688,982.
New River CTC returned to the Department of Education the signed Certification and Agreement and the assurance that the institution has used, or intends to use, no less than 50 percent of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
Half of the total funding ($344,491) was allocated for students. During the spring 2020 semester New River CTC students received emergency grant funds if they met the following criteria:
- Were enrolled in at least one credit bearing class at New River CTC on March 27, 2020 (the day the CARES Act was signed into law)
- Were enrolled in in-seat campus classes or IVN courses.
- Were eligible to receive federal financial aid. Students were required to have a completed FAFSA on file with New River CTC to be eligible for the emergency grant funds.
Approximately 834 New River CTC students were eligible to participate in programs under Section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and thus eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act, and 611 New River CTC students have received an Emergency Financial Aid Grant under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act. As of September 30, 2020, $347,563 has been distributed to New River CTC students.
Additional information on student fund disbursement is explained in the following documents:
The remaining CARES Act funds ($344,491) could be used for students (following the same restrictions on the student half) and/or for other institutional expenses related to the pandemic. New River CTC has used its institutional portion of the CARES Act funding
- To replace College dollars spent on technology that was needed to support teleworking and remote teaching, and
- To replace Colleges dollars used to purchase additional cleaning supplies/equipment and PPE.
New River CTC’s Quarterly Reports provide detailed information on the College’s institutional CARES Act fund spending.
HEERF Quarterly Report (09/30/2020)
HEERF Quarterly Report (12/31/2020)
HEERF Quarterly Report (03/31/2021)
HEERF Quarerly Report (06/30/2021)
An overview of student grant reporting is posted at https://www.newriver.edu/cares-act-required-reporting/student-grants/.