New River Community and Technical College
Position Description and Required Credentials, Experience, Skills and Personal Attributes
Report to: New River Community and Technical College Board of Governors
The president, reporting to the Board of Governors, is the chief executive officer of New River Community and Technical College and is responsible for the overall operations of the College. The president will be expected to understand higher education needs and needs of the institution's service region, work with the Board to develop proposals for meeting those needs and provide leadership to foster cooperation between faculty, staff, administrators, students and the community in fulfilling the institution's mission. The president will govern within the policies and regulations of the Board and the West Virginia Community and Technical College System and other state and federal authorities. The president will be required to travel on a regular basis to all campus locations.
Specific areas of accountability for the president:
- Leads the College forward by identifying strengths, weaknesses, challenges, and opportunities and developing and implementing a strategic vision that ensures implementation of the College's mission.
- Assures that the College finances are managed and revenue streams are developed and grown to support the achievement of the strategic vision and College mission.
- Effectively represents the College to state legislatures, Governor, and federal elected officials, and will continue to secure government funds needed for operation and for capital improvements.
- Will complete current capital projects.
- Provides leadership and oversight of all College campuses, faculty, staff and administrators.
- Assesses overall institutional performance in relation to established goals.
- Maintains academic programs in accordance with accreditation standards and assures that the College operates in compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Authority and responsibility for every personnel action at the institution, except decision relating to his or her own employment and compensation.
- Encourages a culture of accountability, transparency, and innovation in academics, financial and student affairs.
- Promotes and supports personal and professional development of faculty, staff and administrators.
- Responsible for the day-to-day operations of the institution.
Desired Credentials and Experience
- Master's degree from an accredited institution required; earned terminal degree preferred.
- Five years of successful senior level leadership experience in higher education or leading and managing a large, complex organization.
- Proven track record working cooperatively with a governing body.
- Administrative experience in strategic planning, assessment/evaluation of staff, institutional changes/needs and technology implementation.
- Recent and relevant experience as a community college administrator preferred.
Skills, Abilities and Personal Attributes
- Exceptional communication skills including writing and public speaking.
- The ability to listen to others and willingness to consider alternative strategies.
- The ability to identify institutional strengths, weaknesses, challenges and opportunities and to develop a vision to lead the College forward.
- Proven ability and the desire to reach and personally influence alumni, donors, and friends of the College using a wide variety of tools.
- The ability to complete multiple priorities.
- The ability to understand the Board/President relationship and is committed to establishing and maintaining an open, honest, and positive relationship.
- The ability to develop partnerships with K-12, four-year institutions, and business and industry.
- Must understand the complexity of multi-campuses, a diversity of campus cultures, and the uniqueness of rural WV.
- Understanding and dedication to the community and technical college philosophy.
- A capable user of technology who understands the role of technology in the institution.
- Willingness to continue learning during the presidency.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Candidates must successfully complete an extensive background and credit check.
The president must have the ability and mobility to serve a rural service area with multiple campuses. Local, regional, and national travel is required. The president must be able to work on a basis of "available as work demands" in addition to a fixed schedule and must be able to meet the needs of the institution, regardless of time of day or day of week.
Statement of Nondiscrimination and Affirmative Action
New River Community and Technical College is an Affirmative Action/ADA/Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to the principle that minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, blindness or disability in its educational programs or in admission to, access to, treatment in or employment as required by applicable state and federal law.