Welcome to the 2016 FALL NEW STUDENT, TRANSFER and RETURNING Student Online Orientation
Please note: Transient students, Special (non-degree seeking) students and those enrolling as Provisional high school students (current high school students- NOT graduating in May/June applying for First time freshman) are EXEMPT and DO NOT have to take online orientation. Current high school students who are graduating and enrolling as certificate or degree seeking students (not provisional) will need to complete online orientation.
IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY TAKEN ONLINE ORIENTATION AND IT HAS BEEN OVER 1 YEAR, YOU WILL BE ASKED TO TAKE IT AGAIN IF RE-ENROLLING. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE YOUR STUDENT ID AGAIN. YOU WILL HAVE TO USE YOUR DATE OF BIRTH INSTEAD such as 0711999, for July 11, 1999 for example if it is your 1st time taking it again. The system will not provide you with the quiz at the end if you use the same ID number each time. YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE SURE YOU USE YOUR MIDDLE NAME AFTER YOUR FIRST NAME; such as HENRY ALLEN as well.
Please make sure you if yo need to stop and continue at a later time that you remeber your sin in credentials as it will save where you left off. If you sign in differently, it will not.
The goal of Online Orientation at New River CTC is to assist our students in the overall transition to college, including basic information on academic policies, procedures, Student Services and information regarding registering AFTER your initial advising/registration appointment with your assigned faculty advisor during the next scheduled current student registration event. We hope this information will promote a successful beginning and guide you through your first semester. Please be sure to read the college catalog for a comprehensive overview of college policies and procedures. This can be found on the college website, www.newriver.edu under Future or Current Students, next scroll over Academics and click on College Catalog.
Seats will fill quickly! Once we have processed your application for admission, you will receive your welcome letter in the mail from the Office of Admissions with your Student ID number. You will use this ID number to complete online orientation.
If you have applied within one week of classes starting, you most likely will not receive your letter in time, please call to discuss your admit status, payment options if you have not submitted your FAFSA by a certain date and how you will proceed with online orientation. Please review what is needed below for your admission file depending upon your student type. It is important that you read the information. View the academic calendar for important dates such as the first day of classes, etc. View Academic Calendar here
If you are a transfer student and have not submitted official college transcripts, and/or we have not received them, please bring a copy of your unofficial transcripts with you in order to register for classes. Scroll down for registration information and make your appointment to register for classes soon!
Steps to Enrollment
Apply for Admission
Apply for Financial Aid (FAFSA) https://fafsa.gov/
Sign up and Complete Student Orientation(exemptions listed above)
Register for Classes Schedule your appointment. Walk-ins will be seen when possible as a cancellation occurs if available. Otherwise, we like to devote our time and attention to YOU and an appointment allows us to focus on you!).
Pay Tuition and Fees http://www.newriver.edu/future-students/paying-for-college/student-accounts
Purchase Books Online http://www.newriver.edu/future-students/student-services/bookstore
NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION FOR FALL 2016 WILL OPEN Monday, MARCH 21, 2016 at 5 p.m.
NOTED CHANGE: Monday, March 21, Summer 2016 Registration opens for all new students. All new students may register on this date for summer courses.
Monday, April 18,New Student “Priority Registration” opens for Fall 2016
Priority is given to new students (includes Returning (re-admitted) and New Veteran students to register who are fully admitted (admission file complete) and graduating high school seniors who have applied for Fall 2016 and are only lacking the official transcript.
Monday, May 9, New Student General Registration opens
Registration Fall 2016 opens- general registration open for all new students who have completed and successfully passed Online Orientation.
MAY 9- FALL Open Registration begins and remains open until last day to register, AUGUST 12, 2016
In order to make an APPOINTMENT to register for classes, you must meet the following criteria:
- Have submitted an Application for Admission
- Complete a new Application for Admission if you are a Returning(re-admitted)student, Transient student, Provisional student(current high school) or Special student (non-degree seeking)prior to your registration appointment with the Office of Admissions. A Transient student must have their completed transient permission form sent to the Office of Admissions on the campus they will attend prior to registration or in hand. A Provisional student must have a completed Provisional Form in hand at the time of registration. Click here for a Provisional Form
- Submit all official college transcripts (if applicable) to the Office of Admissions. If you do not have official transcripts turned in, you must submit unofficial transcripts for advising purposes ONLY prior to scheduling a registration appointment or you may bring them with you. You will still be responsible for submitting official transcripts. Excludes Transient students. Special students may need unofficial transcripts if aplicable in order to meet a pre-requisite requirement for coursework. Current high school students (provisional) who have taken dual credit or college courses should submit unofficial transcripts when necessary to meet select course prerequisite requirements.
- If you have not submitted ACT, SAT or Compass(accepted from a WV public high school)placement test scores or have not passed a college level Math and English course from an accredited college in which New River accepts, you will need to take a placement test. For test scores to be accepted, the test date must be within 5 years from the date of Application for Admission.Tests are administered through the Student Success Center.
- Successfully complete online Orientation. Transient, Special (non-degree seeking) and Provisional (current high school) students are not required to complete online orientation. Returning (readmitted) students who have completed online Orientation within the last year are also exempt. The Office of Admissions will verify completion within the last year in order to schedule readmits.
Conditionally admitted certificate or degree seeking students may schedule an appointment for May 9, 2016 thru Aug. 12, 2016 to register providing they have submitted at least unofficial college transcripts to the Office of Admissions for advising purposes if all official transcripts have not been received. If no college work has been completed, a student must have completed placement testing (Accuplacer) within the Student Success Center and scores must be entered prior to scheduling an appointment or have submitted ACT SCORES, etc.
Please do not wait until the last day to register- August 12, 2016, as most classes are full (closed) and your FINANCIAL AID/LOANS will be delayed as it contingent upon being "fully admitted" and registered for classes.
If you wish to attend our In-Seat FALL 2016 Orientation, dates and times will be announced soon!
Sessions will include the following:
- Informative sessions regarding college success, advising, college procedures, financial aid, and how to order your books.
- Tour the campus afterwards and get to know your classroom area, computer lab, student success center, and student lounge areas.
- Learn how to use your personal online My New Riverstudent account, access your New River CTC e-mail, and much more!
Office of Admissions:
Greenbrier Valley Campus: (304) 647-6568 Mercer County Campus: (304) 818-2012
Nicholas County Campus:(304) 883-2438 Raleigh County Campus: (304) 929-5475
Advanced Technology Center: (304) 929-3315 Office of Enrollment Services: (304) 929-5480
Toll free number for main number or additional departments: 866-349-3739
***FALL 2016 Orientation will open Monday, March 21, 5 p.m.***
ONLINE ORIENTATION FOR FALL 2016 will open MONDAY, MARCH 21, 2016, 5:00 p.m. CLICK HERE TO BEGIN & SCROLL DOWN THE PAGE
If interested, we would like to share the 2015 WV State Travel Guide with you and your family. Click below to view: